last post

"I love therefore I am".  I was was talking philosophy with friend.  I thought Descartes's maxim: "I think therefore I am." was wrong. "That's so cheesy" she retorted. I bristled back from the phone. I had not expected this reaction. "Cheesy?" "Yes, it could have come strait off Oprah". "I like Oprah"
Descartes had a love of cognition


Loving does not exclude thinking but thinking especially fearfully can exclude loving.

I write this as I debate how parenthood can be easy. It is effortless when I listen to my heart. It's hard when I'm living solely by my will or my head. Can the head ever prepare us for the cacophony of growth that comes with children? We need something deeper. Love guides. It's no wonder that the "wise men" bowed before the incarnation of love. In this metaphor "I love therefore I am" is written in our holiest books. It predates even Oprah.

The tag line of this blog has been "defining love through loss". While loss may awaken us to the love in our lives, ultimately it is not loss that creates love. Love is it's own force. But most people don't grow until they encounter loss though.  This will be my last blog posting. I will no longer be writing about my losses in order to understand them.  Perhaps I've outgrown the "through loss" model.  It's taken 2 years to get to this point.  Like most of us I had to experience loss and then sit with that fact before I could see the deeper parts of it.

The looming question after all these entries is how do we grow without loss? How do we grow on purpose, without having to be reminded through tragedy?  The answer may be in the question.  Know your heart on purpose before you are called upon to do so. You love, therefore you exist. Or put more acurately, you exist therfore you lov

If you don't love (yourself especially) then your own existence may be called into question ultimately by you in your weakest moments.  The ramifications of not growing your love are the pain and sorrow that has colored much of this loss. And it doesn't have to be the loss of a loved one.  It could be a lost dream, a calling or career, a friendship or lover.  One of my favorite gnostic sayings goes like this: "That which you have within you will save you, if you bring it forward. It will kill you if you do not bring it forward" Guess who said that? Some guy who got nailed to a piece of wood for being clever.  Don't worry he did alright in the end.  Happy growing.
K

Comments

Popular Posts