Mercy Now

Mercy ≠ Righteousness
I woke up this morning thinking that the one who caries the sword of righteousness is blinded by it.  I'm wondering if it ever was a good thing.  Both sides in a war feel righteous.  So many times, when I've thought that I was right and acted righteously, I've come to find out later that I still had some learning to do. Will I ever not?
It's easy to be angry at God, the universe, or ourselves after the death of a loved one.  That anger prevents us from getting the return message from our cries.  We must soften enough to listen.

Hafiz says it better
 

I've been actively dissolving my righteousness and watching my interpretation of the world change. First of all, by letting go of righteousness, mercy begins to flow. The first person that I gave mercy to was myself -mercy for being so damn righteous (and ignorant). After that it seems to flow easily to others.  Mercy opens up our hearts to grow instead of "defend" or attack. Mercy embraces our commonality. A small thing but not so small if it prevents a small land war or a trashed relationship.

Mercy = kindness.
Kindness to ourselves is the foundation for being sustainably kind to others.  I see and hear about this in the dating world and in politics when someone with a tortured self image projects their pain or anger on others. The first step to finding this kindness is knowing that you deserve to give it to yourself.  If you can't get past that step, then you've identified your road block.

Last week as I drove across Troost I heard a song on KCUR called "Mercy Now" by Mary Guthier. You can listen to it here.  Beware, it's a little catchy.   If we are ever to end these wars in ourselves and with each other, Guthier's song may be the anthem.

Peace,

K

Comments

Jawndoejah said…
Kevin,
Just checking in. I am cooling from a whirlwind right now. I had two things happen simultaneously that were almost too much to deal with. (I am a dramatic one, huh?). After five days of worry, in which I found out I can make myself nearly thow up from anxiety, I had a sonogram to look for markers of trisomy 18. My blood screen results showed a 1 in 53 chance of trisomy 18 with this current baby, and I heard myself in the one and not in the 52. I saw a perfect wiggling baby on that sonogram, and the doctor tried to reassure me it all looked good, but did I want an amnio? (not yet). Baby was one week behind previous measurements, this is one sign of trisomy 18, but not necessarily so. Everything else was good, so I left with 90% of my burden lifted. On that same day, during the same two hours I was out of my home for the sonogram, a bill passed the house 123-0. This bill, if it survives and becomes a law, will ensure that women in Kansas would have the right to decide what happens to the remains of their baby if miscarried (or if treated for miscarriage) before 20 weeks when most are considered "stillborn" and women are given a choice. Hospitals and medical centers would have to inform a woman of her right (I am hoping verbally and in writing, but this is currently not in the bill). So, I came home to a phone message stating that the bill passed the house. I won't know it's fate until next year when the senate takes it up, and when the governor decides whether to sign or veto. If all goes well, in the fall, I'll be holding a healthy baby in my arms, and by my birthday next spring, I'll have caused a law to be on the books in Kansas. If not, it was all worth it...

I believe both mercy and justice are very important for peace...but without love justice is empty. If mercy is granted instead of justice, would that be grace? I'm not sure we can always abandon justice, but it has to be carefully handed out so as not to bring us to hate.

Thoughtful bloggin' Kevin. Thanks. I think I have to think on justice/mercy some more...both are thrown around pretty regularly in Christian circles.

Popular Posts